Monday, April 14, 2008

Thing 15. Online Games and Libraries

Maybe I'm too practical, but I'm sooo not into gaming or Second Life.

Puzzle Pirates seems like a lot of fun if you have plenty of time (which kids do I guess, but we keep hearing about how even the kids are over-scheduled). I read through the "Starting Out" tutorial but didn't actually play; the download scared me.

Second life is more puzzling to me. There is no goal, no destination. And I can't believe it costs real money (a lot!) for land! Really? Who is buying this, and more importantly, WHY?

Even Michael Stephens, when he spoke on Library 2.0 in Roseville back in September, was not able to explain the usefulness of Second Life. Interesting but not really necessary. You could host the online learning opportunities elsewhere. But I've never been into video games of any sort so maybe for others this is a dream come true. I just don't get it.

No comments: