Friday, February 29, 2008

Thing 2. What is Library 2.0?

Yikes. I gotta say, time is definitely an issue. I'm falling behind.

I heard Stephen Abrams speak on Library 2.0 a few months ago. And while it was exciting and futuristic and some of it I thought was right on, I disagreed with some of what he said. I don't think it's going to be quite as all-encompassing as predicted.

While technology and the web are developing at lightning speed, people are rarely quick to change. Services and resources have to be geared to the people.

I work in a corporate library in a conservative company. Like a lot of companies, we serve different generations, and those who have been around a while are used to doing things a certain way. We have to be mindful of that - of our customers.

But we're starting to use Sharepoint, and hope to set up a Wiki to share knowledge internally. Not sure what else we'll pull into the workplace, although I do have some fun ideas for personal blogs and so I'm appreciative of the learning I'll do through this project.

No comments: